Two years ago I made Raw Chocolate and Nut Easter Cups. This year’s healthy treat recipe is much simpler and faster!
It takes inspiration from the flavours of the hot cross bun, but is free of gluten and refined sugar (bar the dark chocolate).
To make about 20 you’ll need:
1 cup of sultanas
Rind of one orange
3 tablespoons orange juice
Just enough whiskey to soak the sultanas
250 grams almond meal
4 tablespoons cacao
6 tablespoons natural maple syrup
30 grams dark chocolate, chopped finely and another 20 grams for garnishing
Sprinkles of cinnamon and nutmeg
A dash of vanilla essence
1) Chop the sultanas and soak in whiskey for about 2 hours – use just enough whiskey to cover them.
2) Mix all the ingredients together and stir in the maple syrup gradually – I used rough estimates of some of the ingredients so you may need more or less. Use a fork to combine well.
3) Roll into balls a little smaller than a golf ball.
4) Make crosses with a blunt knife. If you have some desiccated coconut, put some in the grooves of a few of them.
5) Lay the balls on a plate and garnish with chopped dark chocolate, cinnamon, sultanas and a little Easter bunny!