First glimpses of Santiago de Chile

Landing in Santiago with the Andes in the distance is quite a spectacular treat after several hours of last-minute stress. Oh yes, in spite of my self-perceived preparation, I still managed to be in a mad frenzy in the final hours before the flight!

I am now being housed in my friend Andrea’s lovely apartment in a quiet area of Santiago, and I am being totally spoilt (own room, large bed, breakfast waiting for me after my 12 hour sleep….).

To add to this, last night there was a live concert at the community centre a block away, and all my favourite hits of the 80’s were being reprised from 9 – 11pm. Tears for Fears, Blondie, Olivia Newton-John, Europe, Michael Jackson were floating in with the warm air over the balcony and I was simply in musical heaven.

Without going into too much detail, because I do have a few foodie followers I have to include a photo of this treat: a layered cake with thin pastry, chantilly cream, berry jam and dulce de leche.

Finally, some of you will be pleased to know that I’ve embraced my inner wild traveller and the GHD has remained in New Zealand. I have however brought anti-frizz serum, which I hope will keep any birds searching for a nest from finding a new home on my head.

Copyright

All images appearing on this blog (solange.posterous.com) may not be reproduced, copied or manipulated without the written permission of Solange Francois. © 2010

Tagged ,

6 thoughts on “First glimpses of Santiago de Chile

1. Rochelle says:

Gasp. The GHD at home! Glad you made it safely….hmm cake.

2. Solange says:

I know. It’s preposterous. But if I regret the decision then I’ll get Nick to bring it over in March šŸ˜‰

3. Donni says:

So exciting! Only a real traveller is minus the GHD…you are strong and brave…you will be fine!

4. natalie says:

that cake looks incredible! make sure you take lots more photos of food…. can’t wait to see what you discover.have fun!

5. Judy says:

With all the changes you are embracing…had you ever thought of a short hair cut…new look!! Easy to travel with that’s for sure! šŸ™‚

6. Solange says:

Haha thanks Don! We’ll see how it goes ;)Judy….me with short hair? Now that requires a new type of bravery altogether! Possibly one day but definitely not for a while! More food shots to come, Natalie šŸ™‚